Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 8 Paul Mitchell (backcombing, hair structure, look book)

Sorry I know I am behind on my postings.  It has been a little crazy around here.

Agenda:
  • Backcombing
  • Hairstructure
  • Look Book
With Backcombing, this was a continuation of Day 7 when we used rollers on our dolls hair.  We took all the rollers out and then backcombed/teased/ratted (whatever you call it or have heard it called) her entire head.


 
 
 She's gorgeous eh? hehe.  Well I liked backcombing and found it fun.  The hard part for me was then deciding on the style.  I tried this but it didn't turn out like I wanted:


I had seen this style on Pinterest here:


 


As you can see, I need to work on it. 

Hairstructure:
Our instructor gave us some hand outs of hair structure diagram to where it broke the hair shaft down.
Your hair has 3 main parts; the cuticle, the cortex and the medulla.
Something I found very interesting is that even though the cuticle is the outermost layer of the hair, it's the cortex where you find your hair color.
Our instructor did a small interactive presentation to where she would use serane wrap around our arm (we would take turns so she just wrapped one arm for each demonstration) to simulate the cuticle. 


For fine hair, she would wrap our arm 4 times.
For medium hair' she would wrap our arm 7 times and then add on to make it 12 layers.
For thick hair, she would wrap our arm 18 times.

After each wrapping, it would be slid off the arm so we could feel the thickness.  Since I'm a hands-on person it really helped cement what the cuticle was like. 




Chemical Makeup of Hair:
Proteins: 65-95% Amino Acids
Water: up to 32% moisture
Carbs: flexibility
Lipids: defense, shine
Pigment: color makes up only 1%
Minerals: strength

Found this diagram that is similar to the one we received to fill out:


LOOK BOOK:
 
 
We were instructed that we would be making a Look Book as we are going through school.  This will illustrate what we can do, would like to do, or possibilities.  That way when we graduate and look for a job, we can show them this book so they can see what we are capable of.  I really like the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment