Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 3 Paul Mitchell (sanitation, draping, 5 minute mini)

     First off let me say this was an awesome class!
Agenda:
Sanitation
Draping and Hands On
5 Minute Mini and hands on


We started our class by watching a short clip by Anjelah Johnson:

It's interesting that you don't have to wash your hands BEFORE you get your nails done but after.  I'm sure I will find out why when we go through doing nails.

I didn't know Barbicide came concentrated to where you have to dilute with water (doesn't matter if it's warm or cold water).  Then it will last no longer than 3 days or when you start to see little floaties.
For brushes that you cannot use Barbicide on you are able to use 99% alcohol (which you can find at Sallys).  For shears and clippers you can use Clippercide which our instructor said is amazing!  When giving a service you always want to use a neck strip to protect them.
I can say I have been to many salons that do not use neck strips and now I am thoroughly grossed out.  Definitely going to be using neck strips always!

Draping:
3 different types of drapes

Thermal Drape:
Already shampooed, needing a head of curls or updo
Use light fabric drape

 Single Drape:
Use for cutting, shampooing, and blow style
Can use either the light fabric drape or the rubberized drape.
Over the neck strip you wrap the neck with a towel

 Double Drape:
Use for ANY chemical service
Same as single drape but then you add another towel around the neck over the drape (enables you to swap if it gets wet)

We then had a "drape rodeo" to where we had teams that went through 3 times.  Our instructor held up signs for each drape we were to put on our "client" (which was another student).  First team done won.  It was fun and helped reinforce what we had just learned.

We were then taught how to perform the 5 minute mini.  LOVE THIS!!
Before every haircut
  • 3 dots of Tea Tree Oil on frontal bone, apex, and nape 
                                          OR
  • 1 dot on each finger

  1. Soothing massage for 5 minutes
  2. Slow motions- really feeling the shape of the guests head
  3. No talking, let them relax
 Then we shampooed and conditioned.  We were lucky enough to be able to practice on each other.  After the mini you are to clean your station with alcohol.  Now let me tell you something, those nozzles to turn on the water are EXTREMELY sensitive!  I wiped down the chair and the sink.  Our Instructor was stating that she holds the record for her students not spraying anyone during core by accidentally hitting the nozzle.  I then went to wipe the nozzle and apparently I pushed when I didn't mean to.  The spray came on full blast shooting the entire front of my shirt. Thank goodness we have to wear black!  Everyone was laughing and stated my mishap was perfect timing.  I later told my instructor that her record still holds because I didn't spray anyone else.  I am glad that it happened now and not with a guest.

I was also glad that I was second on the 5 minute mini because I was able to fully relax.  My favorite part of getting anything done with my hair is the scalp massage and neck massage.  It's wonderful!

That was our evening class.  I love my school!  For day 4 we were asked to bring in one of our doll heads, doll head stand, and our kit.  Excited!






No comments:

Post a Comment