Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 1 of School Paul Mitchell (Intro night)

I started evening classes at Paul Mitchell in the Cosmetology Program!!! Woot Woot! It was a very busy evening with meeting a lot of new faces and our instructor.  Our instructor has 30+ years in the business and knows her stuff.  She is enthusiastic and shows that she cares about our learning experience.

Starting the program you are required to wear all black with a splash of color (one accessory: earrings, necklace, belt, scarf, etc). When I got to the building and parked in the designated area, went inside and to my classroom.  At our spots were a stack of Milady's Standard Cosmetology books shrink wrapped and a Paul Mitchell messenger bag with books inside.  On the desk was a clear pencil pouch with markers, a Paul Mitchell education index card and the Paul Mitchell Plugged In USB.  Also there were small bowls with candy in them for us.

We started by introducing ourselves:
  1. Name
  2. Where am I from?
  3. Why did I pick Paul Mitchell?
  4. Random Fact about myself.
  5. Where I want to go in the Industry?
During this time different heads of the departments came in for introductions as well (Financial Aid Leaders, School Director, Admissions Leaders)

It wasn't a typical drag on introduction, they kept it fun and interesting to where you wanted to listen.  I've noticed that the people who are in leadership positions appear to actually WANT to be there.  They look as though they are enjoying their job and being apart of an educational facility.

We watched a DVD of John Paul DeJoria , Winn Claybaugh and Angus Mitchell welcoming us to the school.  Our instructor gave us our Core Orientation Handbooks which were black binders.  We filled out some information inside and then we toured the school.  

One part we filled out in the handbook I really liked which was our Game Plan.  This is where we first filled out Learning Questions we might have (ex. How am I going to remember all the different types of cuts?), then what we considered our Learning Blocks.  Now with our Learning Blocks we were asked to put those on a sticky note because we would be working through those, so they wouldn't be permanent.  Next we wrote our Learning Goals (ex. be a great colorist, stylist, all of it, etc).  Then came our Learning Commitment of how were were going to accomplish that (ex. review everyday).  Finally we concluded with our Affirmation.  It had to be in the present, not I used to be or I will be.

We also filled out a Who's Who checklist to help identify each team member and how they can help you.  This covered who I would talk to about attendance, tuition, grades, student programs (which I am very excited about the Design Team), my Learning Leaders, service desk, and clinic floor.

We covered important core dates and then our core worksheet which I'm trying not to find intimidating.  The worksheet has 8 rows and 10 columns of different items to meet state requirements that are to be completed during core.  For example in one box it has triangular graduation and in another is single drape.  When performing a service later on the floor, there is the possibility that we could complete 4 boxes in one service (which makes me a little less anxious on not completing everything).

Dinner for evening classes goes from 7:30-8:00pm and we can go off campus or stay there.  As part of the tour we saw our break area has microwaves, a refrigerator, pop machine, snack machine and plenty of seating.

The part I was most looking forward to.....KITMAS!!! It's where we were delivered our kits.  One of the girls dressed up in a Santa Claus costume and they jiggled bells.  We opened our boxes and inventoried all of our items to make sure they were there.  It really did feel like an awesome Christmas to open up all the boxes and get to see all the tools I will be working with.  (I will photo everything and upload pictures)  The girls were a huge help in helping us put together and organize my kit.  I would have be absolutely lost without them.

I am very excited for another class tonight.  We were given a small amount of homework to fill out the All About Me page, register my kit and then label everything.



*****DISCLAIMER*****  This is my personal experience with the Paul Mitchell school and the school you attend may do things a little different. 



No comments:

Post a Comment